“Technology will not replace teachers. Teachers who use technology will probably replace those who do not” – Ray Clifford
- No matter how advanced or smart a computer program is, it cannot replace teachers. Technology cannot come close to the knowledge and life experience a teacher brings. And teaching is not all about facts and figures.
- A teacher leads guides, facilitates, and mentors a student.
- They are role models who set an example to students and drive them towards a brighter future. They can be a positive influence, can be an inspiration to set and achieve goals.
- A teacher gives personal and warm feedback. A teacher encourages independent thoughts and independent learning.
- A teacher can read the emotional state of students.He/she can demonstrate a sense of humor.
- A teacher can make students understand the correct moral human behavior.
All the above-mentioned points cannot be fulfilled by technology. The trust and bond between a teacher and student creates the perfect learning environment; which can never be achieved through virtual learning.
Having said that,
- In today’s age, old school methods will not work. Teachers have to stay updated with today’s trends and equip themselves with the latest in technology. They must implement these technological innovations in their curriculum. The future of education is going to be personalized-tech infused learning.
- For teachers to stay relevant in a changing environment, they must be able to prepare students for a world that does employ robots by teaching them skills such as communication, collaboration, problem-solving, critical thinking, and entrepreneurialism.
- Moreover, Educational technologies can help to aid teachers in their work.
HOW TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP TEACHERS?
Simplifying Administrative Tasks–
- Teachers have to handle tasks such as organizing educational material, evaluating assignments, grading exams, managing paperwork, communicating with the parents, HR and personnel-related issues, ordering and managing classroom materials, booking and managing field trips, etc.
- Technology can make their job easier and help with many of the above-mentioned activities. Let’s take grading for example. Automated grading is a lifesaver for teachers when they have to go through thousands of tests.
- Artificial intelligence can take care of other tasks such as logistics issues, keeping the paperwork up to date, and providing feedback for students or serving as a communication channel for teacher-parent interactions.
- Furthermore, education administrators can benefit from integrating Artificial intelligence solutions into their activity. AI can help with a series of administrative duties from budget management to processing student application forms, procurement of materials, or HR management.
A more realistic scenario would be a future in which technology becomes a reliable assistant for teachers, helping them fulfill their responsibilities with higher efficiency. Technology will not replace great teachers, but technology in the hands of great teachers can be transformational.
Written by:- Taniya Arora, She is pursuing BBA from Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women. She is an enthusiastic learner and an ardent researcher.
Edited by:-Shweta, Team SciComm